Tethered hot air balloon rides scheduled for Feb. 7
For the fifth year SCEC FirstCall Medical Monitoring is sponsoring the Living with Dementia balloon at the Hudson Hot Air Affair, which this year will be held Feb. 7-9. Not only that, but the co-op is also bringing the Touchstone Energy® Cooperatives hot air balloon, with a special opportunity just for St. Croix Electric Cooperative members:
From 9-11 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 7, if the weather cooperates, the balloon will be available for tethered rides and photos on the grounds of the co-op’s office in Hammond – for SCEC members only!
Experienced pilot Scott Wooge of St. Louis, Missouri, is bringing the 77,000 cubic foot hot air balloon that stands over 77 feet tall and is 60 feet wide when fully inflated. The 14 cubic foot ascot basket can carry a pilot and two average size passengers.
The Touchstone Energy® Hot Air Balloon is intended to serve as a goodwill ambassador for Touchstone Energy Cooperatives and its member-cooperatives, of which SCEC is one. Touchstone Energy® is an alliance of 750 local, consumer-owned electric cooperatives in 46 states, that deliver high standards of service, power and energy solutions to more than 30 million member owners across the country. Touchstone Energy® complements the local connection that co-ops have with their members while providing the resources of a vast, integrated network of cooperatives.
Since 2016, the Living with Dementia balloon has helped spread the message that dementia can affect anyone at any age. Each year a person with dementia and their caregiver are selected as Ambassadors to share their story at events and with the media leading up to the Midwest’s premiere hot air balloon festival when they have the chance for a ride in a hot air balloon, which this year will again be piloted by Terry Dorshorst, a nurse from West Salem, Wis.
The collaboration between SCEC Medical Monitoring and the ADRC (Aging and Disability Resource Center) of St. Croix County has expanded to include the St. Croix Valley Dementia Friendly Communities Coalition, and the search is underway for Ambassadors.
FirstCall Medical Monitoring is a service offered through St. Croix Electric Cooperative across the area to both co-op members and non-members. It offers peace of mind at the touch of a button with local service from local employees you know and can trust – an SCEC Member Services employee comes to your home to install and test the unit.
Other Hudson Hot Air Affair events in which SCEC and the Touchstone Energy Hot Air Balloon are participating include:
- Friday, Feb. 7: Touchstone Energy Hot Air Balloon Tethered Rides (weather dependent). 9-11am (weather dependent; time may be adjusted) @ SCEC in Hammond. Members only, register on-site. For updates check scecnet.net, St. Croix Electric Cooperative Facebook Page or call 715-796-7000.
- Friday, Feb. 7: Torchlight Parade. 7pm down 2nd Street in downtown Hudson.hudsonhotairaffair.com
- Saturday, Feb. 8 @ EP Rock school grounds, 340 13th Street South - public welcome on field to take photos, meet pilots, etc.:
- Balloon Launch. 7:35am
- Marketplace and Craft Fair. 8am-8pm
- Balloon Launch. 3pm
- Hot Air Balloon Moon Glow or Field of Fire. 6:30pm
- Sunday, Feb. 9: Balloon Launch. 7:35am @ EP Rock school grounds, 340 13th Street South.
- Sunday, Feb. 9: Touchstone Energy Hot Air Balloon Tethered Rides (weather dependent). Noon-4pm (weather dependent; time may be adjusted) @ Guys BBQ Roadhouse, 1237 Hwy. 35N, Hudson. Open to public. Register on-site. For updates check scecnet.net, St. Croix Electric Cooperative Facebook Page or call 715-549-6255 (Big Guys BBQ).
- Sunday, Feb. 9: Big Chili Blowout & Euchre Tournament Fundraiser for St. Croix Valley Dementia Friendly Communities Coalition. Noon-4pm @ Big Guys BBQ Roadhouse, 1237 Hwy. 35N, Hudson.
For a complete schedule of Hudson Hot Air Affair events visit their website: http://hudsonhotairaffair.com/