Skip to main navigation.

Service FAQ

What determines whether my property is served using overhead or underground lines? 
St. Croix Electric Cooperative typically uses underground lines on new services. Converting overhead service to underground on existing services may be possible. Call the Co-op office at 715-796-7000 or email  for a cost estimate on this type of service change.

What does St. Croix Electric Cooperative require for grounding?
SCEC requires two ground rods for new service locations.

How are new service charges calculated?
St. Croix Electric Cooperative is a not-for-profit cooperative. We strive to be as accurate as possible when forecasting actual costs for service so we are able to cover expenses. Since SCEC serves rural areas, we have fewer customers per mile of line than municipal or most investor-owned utilities, so the overall cost of our operations must be shared among fewer accounts. Distributing the cost among fewer accounts means each account pays a bit more than it would in a non-rural area in the form of the service charge. As a cooperative, we charge what we need in order to conduct business. Any funds remaining after expenses are returned to members in the form of Equity Capital Credits.

When do I pay for service?
You will need to pay a $5 membership fee (same as when the Cooperative was formed in 1937) and a $350 new service fee (if applicable) when you submit your membership application. Payments on your monthly billing statements are due upon receipt (net 15 days). At the discretion of the Cooperative, delinquent accounts may be subject to disconnection. There is a charge to re-connect service. The Cooperative accepts payments in cash, check or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover). An afterhours drop-box is located on the east side of the Cooperative parking lot in Hammond. Credit card payments are accepted over the phone by calling the office at 715-796-7000. Restrictions may apply. Members may also sign-up for online bill pay by Bill4U.

I need an electrician to do some work in my home/business. Can St. Croix Electric Cooperative send someone?
No. The electric cooperative and our lineworkers and technicians are responsible for the construction, maintenance and repairs to the system equipment, such as power lines and transformers that lead up to the meter on your home/building. We do offer a list of electricians who work in our service area and can complete the work necessary for the member's side of the meter:

  • Helgeson Electric, Inc. (Baldwin): 715-684-2402
  • Jensen Electric (Woodville): 612-328-4670
  • Kelzer Electrical Wiring (New Richmond): 715-246-4768
  • Kludtke Electric (Somerset): 715-247-3830
  • Monicken Electric (Baldwin): 715-684-2609
  • Scott Freer Electric (Hudson): 715-381-1155
  • Simon Electric (New Richmond): 715-246-3873
  • Steiner Plumbing & Electric, Inc. (River Falls): 715-425-5544
  • Willow River Electric (Deer Park | New Richmond): 715-246-7299


More questions? Contact Cooperative staff:

Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (CST)
715-796-7000 -or- 800-924-3407

St. Croix Electric Cooperative
P.O. Box 160
Hammond, WI 54015
Physical location: 1925 Ridgeway St., Hammond


Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo