Project Integration (meters)
Beginning in December 2015, Chapman Metering, of Avoca, Iowa, began changing out all meters on the Co-op's system. The project was two years in the making after learning from the former meter manufacturer they were no longer manufacturing a module for the old meters. Now that Project Integration is complete, the dynamic Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) will:
- Give members more information regarding their electric use.
- Aid SCEC in successfully resolving usage or high-voltage complaints.
- Be secure. SCEC can only read overall electric use by members. The Co-op has no way of knowing what appliances/devices are on at any given time of the day.
- Report power outages and aid crews in more efficiently locating the cause of an outage and restoring power.
- Eliminate the need for manual, on-site meter readings by SCEC.
- Detect meter tampering and high temperature, and automatically notify SCEC of any issues.
- Allow for more consistent billing cycles, as well as expedited service when an account is transferred to another member.
- In the future, allow members the option of pre-paid billing.
A document of "Frequently Asked Questions" has been put together by SCEC staff for members. Questions may also be directed to SCEC at 715-796-7000.
"Quest for improved efficiency drives system upgrades" (August 2015 Energy Lifestyles Magazine)
"SCEC reaches new heights" (September 2015 Energy Lifestyles Magazine)
"Meter installations begin this fall" (October 2015 Energy Lifestyles Magazine)
"Remove Meter Obstructions" (May 2016 Energy Lifestyles Magazine)
"Meter Installation Pace Increasing" (March 2016 Energy Lifestyles Magazine)
"Installations in Progress" (January 2016 Energy Lifestyles Magazine)