Members Needed for Nominating Committee
Members who reside in Districts 5 or 8, are needed to build a candidate slate for 2018 Director Elections
St. Croix Electric Cooperative is searching for members who reside in Districts 5 and 8, and are willing to dedicate time in January and February toward recruiting and confirming candidates for the 2018 Director Election in their respective district. SCEC hopes to have all seats filled by Dec. 15, 2017. A quick response by three members in Dist. 2 has filled the Nominating Committee seats for the district. Members interested in serving on the Nominating Committee can contact the SCEC Communications & Events Coordinator via email or 715-796-5613.
Three members from each district up for election will comprise the 2018 Nominating Committee. The Committee will meet on Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018, to learn about the role of the Nominating Committee, duties of a director, and the process to be followed when identifying and nominating candidates. Committee members will spend the following six weeks talking to members within their district who are interested in running for the Board of Directors. The Committee will gather the week of Feb. 19, to discuss potential candidates and confirm the candidate slate for the 2018 election.
Committee members receive a meeting per diem and mileage reimbursement. Meeting times are usually in the evening, but will be determined once the Committee is finalized in order to accommodate members’ schedules.
Why should I volunteer?
Cooperatives are owned by the consumers who utilize the cooperative’s services. At SCEC, member-owners are the customers who receive electricity from the Cooperative. Each member-owner has a voice in the direction of the Cooperative. However, to operate efficiently, Cooperative employees report to the President/CEO who reports to a nine-member Board of Directors. The Board is comprised of a member representative elected from each of SCEC’s nine districts in a “one membership, one vote” format, no matter how large or small the member’s account. Directors commit to a three-year term with elections being held in three of the Cooperative’s nine districts annually.
The Nominating Committee plays a vital role in confirming candidates who meet the director eligibility requirements and have committed to meeting the demands of a director.
Incumbent directors in the districts where 2018 elections will be held are:
- District 2: Alan Wilkie
- District 5: William Findlay
- District 8: Derrick Oberle
The incumbent directors recently confirmed their intent to stand for re-election in 2018. Members residing in Districts 2, 5 and 8, will receive ballots and candidate biographies in the middle of March. Members should review the candidate biographies and return the ballot after casting their vote. Ballots will be tallied by a member panel during the Annual Meeting of Members on Thursday, April 12, 2018, and the results announced prior to the end of the Annual Meeting.
The Nominating Committee
- Provides an organized way for members to learn about the director nomination process.
- Recruits eligible members to become potential director candidates.
- Delivers candidate paperwork to the incumbent director, if the director chooses to seek re-election.
- Confirms potential candidates are SCEC members and reside in the district they wish to represent.
- Interviews potential candidates about their qualifications for directorship.
- Educates potential candidates on the roles and responsibilities of the SCEC Board of Directors.
- Responds to inquiries from the membership regarding the nomination/election process.
- Members of the Nominating Committee cannot be director candidates in the upcoming election. SCEC employees and current Directors cannot serve on the Nominating Committee.
Nominating Committee Schedule
- Dec. 15, 2017: Deadline to contact Bolwerk if interested in serving for Districts 5 or 8.
- Jan. 11, 2018: First meeting/training.
- January & February: Work as a district team to seek eligible and qualified candidates.
- Late February: Second meeting to confirm candidate slate.